Barcelona Day 1

About 15 min out from Barcelona.

Truly, getting there is half the fun! provided you keep a sense of humour.  Arrived at Montreal’s Trudeau Airport with lots of time — which meant I had to wait two hours to check in my luggage.  I had a book with me so after browsing through a few stores, I found a comfy chair and sat and read.  Now this is a book I brought from home that looked unread and I didn’t remember it so I figured it for the perfect read — a medieval mystery.  About a third of the way through, I decided I had read it but as I can’t remember who ‘done’ it, I’ll read it to the end.

Many billboards in English.

Eventually got my suitcase checked in and went through security with my NEXUS card in about 5 minutes time.  (Love that card!!). Lots of fast food places at the Trudeau Airport but only a couple of nice restaurants; none with a steak sandwich (something I’d kind of had my heart set on) but found I wasn’t too hungry after all.  Turns out they served a dinner on the plane which didn’t take off until 9 pm which I thought was a bit late for dinner but I had a free glass of wine anyway.  When they had everyone on board, my upgraded seat gave me a perfect view of them trying to close the door — took them 5 tries to get it down to the floor and then into place!?!  Read a little, watched a bit of Peter Rabbit, and slept a bit although not as much as I would have liked.

Interesting architecture

Arriving in Barcelona Airport, there were no customs forms to fill out, the line moved well, and then it was just a question of finding my Welcome Pickup driver.  We did connect and had a pleasant ride to my hotel with Josef pointing out a lot of the sights along the way.  Apparently, check-in time at my hotel is 2 pm and I arrived about 11:15 so I sat on a sofa and read.  At about 1, they said they had a room for me.  While it is quite tiny, it is on the top floor (9 story hotel)and has this lovely balcony where I’m now sitting writing my blog.  I unpacked and set the time and alarm on my Samsung camera (which I haven’t used much; it’s actually a phone but looks like a real camera with its zoom lens) to have an hour’s sleep before heading off to Monserrat for the 3 pm tour.  Didn’t hear the alarm; don’t know if it worked or not.

Alley lined with shops.

Then, I couldn’t figure out the safe in the room.  The last person to use it left it locked but open and I required a member of the hotel staff to reset it, then it worked great.  Left my valuables behind and went ‘walk-about’. To get to know my neighbourhood a bit.  Found the metro station where I can buy a bus pass for the time I’m here, a lot of outdoor cafés, little alleys that taxis actually drive down, and a lot of grafetti around this city and lots of balconies. A bit reminiscent of parts of Quebec.

My first purchase in Barcelona.

I made my first purchase which I’ve been eating while I write my blog on my balcony and I now have some change in Euros.  Tonight I’ll try dinner in the hotel restaurant which doesn’t begin serving until 8 pm. Not too long to wait now.

Tomorrow I’m off to see the sights!!!  Until then, Adiós!

About mysm2000

Having taught elementary school for more than 25 years and been involved in many amazing technology and curriculum projects, I find I've developed a myriad of interests based on literature I've read and music I've heard. I've followed The Wright Three to Chicago, Ansel Adams to Colorado, The Kon Tiki Expedition to Easter Island, Simon & Garfunkel lyrics to New York City, Frank Lloyd Wright to Fallingwater, Pennsylvania, and have only just begun.
This entry was posted in architecture, retirement, travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

I love reading comments so please leave a reply!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s